with Toby Schwoerer, Scott Gatchell and Adam Verrier
Mt Bona, at 16431 ft, is the fourth highest mountain in the USA
We flew in to the Klutlan glacier on May 19th and established base camp at ~10000 ft. Becasue of very nice weather, we decided to move up the mountain as quickly as possible due to the infamous storms in this area. On day 2, Toby and I carried supplies to 13000 ft and returned to base while the others had to deal with altitude symptoms. On day 3, we picked up our cash at 13000 ft and moved camp to about ~13500 ft. Day 4 was still good for climbing but with some high clouds and increasing winds. We decided to try to summit on day 4 becasue we felt a storm was coming in. Toby and I summited while Scott and Adam had to turn around at ~15000 ft. The summit climb was extremely windy and cold. Day 5 we were stuck in high camp due to a 24 snow storm. On day 6, in sted of attempting Mt. Churchill, we decided to move back down to base camp because a couple of the team members were suffering from cold and altitude effects. That same evening we flew back out to civilization.
Adam, Scott and Toby hanging out at the Chitina airstrip.
Still waiting ... we waited from 6 am until 4 pm on a perfact day for flying and we almost thought we'd have to stay another night in Chitna when our flight finally showed up.
Basecamp on the Klutlan at about 10,000 feet
Toby carving some tele-turns after making a cache dump at 13,000 feet
The cast ... Toby ...
... Adam ...
... Scott ...
... and Trond.
Well fortified basecamp on the Klutlan
Ready to move up to high camp at 13,500. The view is down the Klutlan glacier
View towards the Northeast
Heading across the Churchill/Bona plateau towards Mt Bona
Trond heading up towards the summit in strong wind
Toby and Scott in snowcave we dug at high camp to get out of the wind and snow
Returning to basecamp