Saturday, March 14, 2009

Arctic to Indian - March 2009

Arctic to Indian - 16.5 miles
March 14th, 2009

The Arctic to Indian traverse crosses the Chugach State Park East of Anchorage. It is a 16.5 miles mellow ski from Arctic Valley North of Anchorage through the woods of the Ship Creek drainage and over the Indian Pass to the Indian Valley on the Turnagain Arm South of Anchorage.

I joined Chris, Danielle, Mitch, Colleen, Sarah, Erin and Lee for the traverse on a beautiful March day with soft powder and great conditions.


The group skiing up along the Ship Creek
Rest stop along the Ship Creek.
Chris showing the fine art of Beaver house skiing.

Lee talking a tumble while trying out a short-cut.
The upper part of South Fork Ship Creek looking North.
On the Indian Pass looking South towards the Indian Valley

And then on one of the fun downhills about 2.5 miles from the trailhead, I overestimated the strength of my recently operated knee and my current skiing abilities. An "emergency" stop ended in a wipeout and wrenched knee. Good thing my friends had an avalanche probe and plenty of duct-tape. With this splint I managed to ski out under my own power; otherwise we may have had to call for a rescue.

My doctor tells me it is a partially torn and separated MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament) and ruptured miniscus. So now I will be suffering for my stupidity for the next couple of months or so. I hope surgery will not be necessary!

No comments: